Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Week Three: RSS

What is RSS?
 
This week is all about RSS! I honestly never realized that this exists. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication, amazing new feed. This was designed for individuals to receive updates on the websites visited by them on a regular basis. RSS allows individuals to just simply receive information that they browse and search for on the web. This saves time for individuals to find the information, news or recent updates that they are interested on reading (Rowse, 2010).  Common Craft explains the difference between individuals looking for these updates and etc. themselves on the web compared to RSS notifying them with updates and blogs. For a better understanding of RSS, please watch this video! https://www.commoncraft.com/video/rss


I am astonished to see how technology is advanced, if it weren’t for my ADED 1P32 course, I would have never been introduced to RSS.  RSS is very similar to subscribing a magazine, the only difference is magazine gets received through mail and RSS is online. To get started with RSS, I recommend using Feedly; this is a easy way to become accustomed to subscriptions online. Feedly is very similar to emails, once you subscribe blogs, articles and etc. you will be able to see read, unread, new entries. RSS has many advantages; such as it allows individuals to keep track of their favorite websites that usually were bookmarked (Rowse, 2010).  In my opinion, RSS is great to stay caught up and updated on everything happening around us. With RSS, news can be brought to your attention without you having to search through so many websites and news feeds. As Wagner (2007) indicates, “ Once you find a trusted source, you want to be able to take advantage of future updates”.

Below are some examples listed that one can subscribe with RSS (Wagner, 2007):
  •        Blogs
  •     Podcasts
  •     Google News
  •     Wikis
  •      MSN



In order to sign up for Feedly, please make sure you have access to either chrome, Firefox, safari and etc. Additionally, one must make a Google account. Once you have set up your account, Feedly is very straightforward and easy to follow. You just need to choose categories that interest you and add it to your table of content. For more information please view this YouTube clip on how to set up Feedly!


This week, I was able to explore RSS and Feedly! Learning about new ways of using technology is great. I am glad to be introduced to tools such as RSS. I can create my own Feedly and subscribe to news and blogs that interest me. RSS is very convenient to use and I strongly recommend everyone to give this a chance and you will never subscribe a magazine ever!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Raman, I love your use of pictures and how you make the text wrap around them! Just like you, it is because of this course that I know about RSS and I actually use it now as part of my daily "internet checking for updates". Good luck with the rest of the course :)

    -Julia

    ReplyDelete